Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Mining Waste

While working on my paper, I have had many hours to focus on the ways in which mining waste has affected Tohono O'odham sacred lands. Originally, I was not planning on looking too far into mining and its relation to the Tohono O'odham, however, my research into different forms of toxic waste and water pollution led me into a deep analysis of the mining industry. In addition to our class discussion, testimonies and controversies surrounding mining on the Internet have shown me that the issue is much more serious than I had imagined it to be.

The extent to which mining affects surrounding lands, wildlife, and natural resources is alarming. After looking through the library catalogue in search of some resources, I discovered a few books that really dug into the underlying motives of both sides of the mining dispute. It was especially interesting to read about the philosophy of the miners in relation to the philosophy of Native Americans. Many mining engineers view their work as "art" and as their duty to make the most of the landscape we have been given. Given the opposing ideologies of the Native Americans, there is no wonder why there have been so many disagreements over mining developments. It stumps me that more of these large mining companies are not only secretive, but elusive to Native American inquiries. There has to be some middle ground that does not involve the destruction of sacred burial grounds for one's own greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment