Wednesday, March 22, 2017

International Water Day


Happy International Water Day! Our current focus of study is quite pertinent considering that today is International Water Day: a day highlighted in order to promote awareness of populations globally without reliable access to drinkable water. To be honest, I am not invigorated by reading about the criteria for evaluating interjurisdictional water settlements, but I do understand the importance of this criteria. The author sets out her points very clearly to show the economic, legal, environmental, and social benefits that should come out of a successful water settlement. I applaud her ability to write so that a layperson can easily understand her chapter.

I believe that tax incentives and cost-sharing between parties constitute some of the most blatantly influential criteria for water settlements. To get most parties invested in an agreement or outcome involves including elements that, after a cost-benefit analysis, result in a positive situation for such parties. As someone conscious of and passionate about social issues, I certainly see the importance of the environmental and social elements or implications of water settlements. However, if I played the part of a basic business interest concerned with my bottom line, I would want strong financial incentives and the guarantee of fair cost-sharing before I would agree to a settlement. Not everyone in this world is socially and environmentally conscious, but these issues are still inexplicably tied to the implications that arise from interjurisdictional water settlements.  

No comments:

Post a Comment